Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Conviction

There is a question that seems to permeate most self-reflection about life and happiness; “If I died today, would I be happy with the life I have lived thus far or die with regret”? Despite being morbid, I find the question fascinating because it allows us to intermittently reflect on the path we are following and if our answer to the question would be one of dissatisfaction, make alterations to align ourselves of a life without regret or at least one with a hopeful conclusion.

It is probably safe to say that most, if not all, people would choose to change something about their past, but until some aspiring young scientist figures out how to invent a time machine that opportunity will sadly remain out of our grasp. We can instead look back at our mistakes with an eye on the future. We can seek to avoid making the same mistakes twice and come to a comfortable understanding that all past mistakes and actions somehow unfolded and brought us to the place we are here and now.

In my current reflection I feel that although ridden with plenty of mistakes, I have lived my life fairly well and in line with my sense of adventure. What lacks is a productive concrete outcome. Already the memories of yesterday are fading and the adventures of years ago become only a diluted ingredient in the person typing here today. So many ideas have been lost, so many of my dreams have been forgotten. My regret so to speak is not having a more detailed account of my life in written form and a severe lack of organization. I need to write more. Thank you by the way to a dear Greek friend of mine that has made me aware of this neglect. ;)

During the course of my life I have had the great fortune to meet a countless number of interesting people through school and tourism. Each of these people have their own stories, ambitions, dreams, and desires. It is overwhelming to think about how many of these conversations and ideas have been lost because they were not documented. Sadly the wind and walls do not take comprehendible notes for us and our future generations. As a wise woman once said “Every life needs a witness, everyone needs a Dr. Watson.” What better witness to have then yourself. You can insure that those ideas and interactions are not lost but recorded and saved. Journalists fascinate me. It is not that they are the only people with ideas but along with writers and bloggers they are the only ones that take the initiative to write them down. They understand the significance of the mundane and give importance to their existence. History is written by those who record it. They become the voice and spirit of the victors and our link to reality in the past, present, and future.

No comments: